RE: Yet another nitpicky style question

Subject: RE: Yet another nitpicky style question
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Brasel, Russell'" <russell -dot- brasel -at- hccredit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:11:08 -0500

Russell Brasel wrote:

I'm currently creating definitions for 650+ database attributes, and I know
someone down the road is going to say, "Hey, Writer! Shouldn't this be 'PIN
number,' not just 'PIN'?" The same scenario applies for SSN. Both
abbreviations appear frequently through the database, so I need to defend
myself. Am I being overly anal-retentive? After all, Number is included in
the abbreviation.

It's actually SSAN (Social Security Account Number); however, to answer your
question....I think stating "PIN number" is like calling a government agency
the Department of Redundancy Department. Just state in the definition that
PIN is the "Personal Identification Number."

Now, go get your coffee....

Al