Re: Current trends in Authoring Tools?

Subject: Re: Current trends in Authoring Tools?
From: "Kevin Amery" <kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: ct <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:12:22 -0500

The tools don't make you a writer, or a better writer--but they do let
you spend more time on things like structure, logic flow, and
expression and less time on raw data entry. Yes, we could do our jobs
with a pen if necessary, but we wouldn't be nearly as productive.

--
Until next time...

Kevin Amery

On 2/8/07, ct <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Aye Joe!

My point exactly...as this twisted topic winds its way to Heat Death.

The main tool? Skill and Talent. Everything else can be learned.
I'm REALLY going to PO a few people here...ready?

FrameMaker? RoboHelp? NOT brain surgery. 80% of what needs to be
done can be learned in a good weekend of sit-down, hands on study.

Will knowing these programs a Tech Writer make?

No.

Command of the language at hand? Be that language English, Chinese,
Hebrew, Pig Latin...THAT, my friends is what makes us Technical
Writers.

The tools are nice. But let's be realistic. All of us could do our
jobs with a pen and paper if we had to.

-Collin

--
"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human
soul in this world--and never will."

Mark Twain

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kevindamery%40gmail.com