XML and Documentation

Subject: XML and Documentation
From: Melissa Nelson <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:03:40 -0500

Good afternoon

I have been seeing a lot on this list lately about XML, documentation and Single Sourcing. My review is coming up and my boss asked me some questions about my job, what I would like to learn, improve etc. I told him that I hear a lot about people on my list using XML for documentation, single sourcing etc. At the moment I have never done anything with XML, he said that it would be a straight forward thing for me to learn and was really interested in hearing how people use XML. So I guess my questions to those on here that use XML for documentation are as follows:

How difficult is it to learn XML...I know the real basic HTML commands, but do not use it on a regular basis.

How does XML relate to documentation as a whole, is it only online or is it easily convertible to other forms of documentation?

How does XML relate to single sourcing of documentation?

Any help you can give me would be great...my boss will be out of town next week and my review will be the following week...I would love to have a starting point to jump off in researching XML and documentation.

Thanks so much!