Re: Rant continued from previous page (was Re: Another Word guru question)

Subject: Re: Rant continued from previous page (was Re: Another Word guru question)
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:48:45 +0000

On Sunday, February 11, 2007, Mike Starr wrote;

> However, you bring up a point of how do we accommodate those cases where a
> single page of a document is somehow separated from the rest of the
> document. I'd suggest that if a single page were printed or photocopied, it
> probably wouldn't make much difference if the table in question had a
> continuation indicator... the reader probably wouldn't have access to the
> rest of the document anyway.
---

If the reader only has one of the pages, and continuation markers are
used, the reader at least knows that he doesn't have all the
information. In the case I cited, he would have known that there were
further exceptions to the general. He'd know that he couldn't be sure
of the torque setting for any fastener for which he didn't have an
explicit value until he'd had sight of the continuation page.

In the case I cited, the engineer didn't want to get the manual dirty,
and so was in the habit of photocopying the pages he needed for the
task in hand and leaving the almost pristine original back at the
office. He got rocks for the incident - but I learned a lot as well
and try to guard against a similar thing happening again. (The crazy
thing is that we both worked for the same company and I provided
replacement copies of the company's manuals "on demand".)

--
Geoff