Re: Technology Product Managers (was Re: Writing test Fridays)

Subject: Re: Technology Product Managers (was Re: Writing test Fridays)
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Kelley Greenman" <writinglists -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:03:24 -0500

Yes, a good product manager should be someone in Marketing who is equally skilled and happy at talking large, meaningless phrases to the large, meaningless people who control the money, and nitty-gritty technical details with the rest of us, the ones who are going to build the thing.

It's up to us, the techy folks, to help the product manager find out whether what he's selling is what he believes it is and to help with ajdustments one way or the other.

In my fever dreams the product manager has come in from tech writing and knows how to enlist tech-writing help early on, to develop a good and marketable product within the first-to-market timeframe that's always too short.

Take the job, go and do it right, and don't forget the tech writers waiting to help you.