RE: Agile, SCRUM and Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Agile, SCRUM and Technical Writing
From: "Gordon McLean" <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:45:06 -0000

specifications. It is eminently possible, and results in a good final
product > and no team burnout. The problem is that many development
organizations really don't know how to manage development.

I agree. With Beth. To a degree.

But, was that spec doc being used in an agile enviroment? Were the
organisations focussed on agile development?

I do agree that a specification, a starting point, is needed. And I also
agree that change needs to be both managed and communicated. The two are not
necessarily linked, at least that's how it seems in 'agile' land.

I've been following this thread, as I've recently joined a team who've been
trying XP practises, as yet I've seen a lot of discussion about the best way
to work, generally, but little about the specifics of working in an agile
environment.

So, from the few weeks I've been here, I'll take a stab.

1. The tech author should be involved during the drafting of stories. Maybe
even given the authority to ensure they are kept up-to-date.
2. The draft stage of docs can follow the amount of knowledge available.
High-level concepts first, then more detailed conceptual info, then any info
surrounding the 'task', then finally the task and screenshots and whatnot.
(I'm presuming a user guide of some sort here, adapt to fit your own doc
requirements).
3. Reviews take place regularly, on small chunks of the document, as small
as possible.
4. Agreeing a final production day, AFTER software and testing is complete,
would be ideal (I was in yesterday to get this 'day' and will have Thursday
off in lieu, you do what you can).

How does that sound?

Is that all there is too it? Instead of sitting down to write a 'chapter'
you need to track and manage smaller chunks, with an overall outline of the
doc already in place.

No? Yes?

Seasoned practitioners, have at it. Am I talking out of a certain
unmentionable opening?

Gordon

This email (and any attachments) is private and confidential, and is intended solely for the
addressee. If you have received this communication in error please remove it and inform us via
telephone or email. Although we take all possible steps to ensure mail and attachments
are free from malicious content, malware and viruses, we cannot accept any responsibility
whatsoever for any changes to content outwith our administrative bounds. The views represented
within this mail are solely the view of the author and do not reflect the views of the organisation
as a whole.
Graham Technology plc
Registered in Scotland company no. SC143434
Registered Office India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, Scotland PA4 9LH

http://www.grahamtechnology.com