RE: Agile, SCRUM and Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Agile, SCRUM and Technical Writing
From: "Zuercher, Darrell" <dzuerche -at- tva -dot- gov>
To: "Tlyn" <terilyn -dot- gillespie -at- ddiworld -dot- com>, "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:53:12 -0500

Terilyn,

Our department is in the process of implementing the SCRUM methodology
while modifying the organizational structure, too. I am attempting to
structure the system documentation (requirements, specifications, test
plans). I have been working through "Mastering the Requirements Process
Second Edition" by Suzanne Robertson and James Robertson (ISBN:
0596102097). They state that business use cases are the most effective
way to gather requirements in an agile environment. Our first
implementation of the SCRUM methodology had a more robust set of
requirements already begun, although not fully documented. As the
"sprints" were completed (We are currently on our third sprint, with the
next two already planned.), the content of those sprints organically
centered on business use cases.

Granted, we are early in our experience with agile development, but my
personal experience with it leads me to believe that comprehensive
requirements and functional specs are not overkill, but may not be
necessary prior to beginning development. Since I arrived at my job two
years ago, this is the third software development life cycle this
department has adopted. The latest, and the one for which my
documentation deliverables were designed, was a "feature/release"
methodology. For this new methodology, I am still investigating what my
writing tasks (I am the lone writer in the department.) and deliverables
are for each product. I am involved with the development team from the
initial planning of the first sprint, so I have some input into design
and usability. The jury is still out on whether we have successes or
failures, but we do have a "lessons learned" session at the end of each
sprint, and I am confident in our potential for success. Our initial
customer participants have responded well thus far. YMMV.

I hope this helps.

Darrell