Re: Video vs The Written Word

Subject: Re: Video vs The Written Word
From: ct <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:06:13 -0700

Hmmm....interesting topic.

I think I have a unique take on this. Prepare yourselves...hehehe.

I used to work in the Newspaper Industry. I was responsible for
setting up a "major" newspaper's Internet program. We had a great
plan, but alas...there was not enough buy-in from the Uppers. Well,
my experience was not unique and now it is a clear and present fact
that Newspapers are going to evolve or die whether we like it or not.

How does this apply to this topic? Easy.

Evolution.

I have been incorporating Multimedia into my documentation for years.
The company I am going to work for will require me to use Flash and
Breeze as part of my job. This is something I relish! I used
Captivate and *loved it* at my past job.

Does this make our jobs as Tech Writers less valuable or valid? No.
It just means that we must evolve or die folks. Keep with the
changes.

Sure. There will *ALWAYS* be a need for the written document. But
people are asking for interactive content more and more. So, learn to
use it. Learn to write for it. Use storyboards. Apply your talent
to this incredible new venue.

You will be able to expand your skillset AND be worth more to your
employers (present and future).

My thoughts...thanks!

-Collin

On 2/20/07, Sarah Bouchier <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com> wrote:

* (It was also my impression that it also took more time and effort
to produce half an hour of simple tutorials than to

* update several thousand pages of Help--the same guy did both, but
it wasn't me.)

Your impression isn't wrong. It generally takes me an entire day to
produce a 5-minute flash video to acceptable standard.

Sarah Bouchier
Technical Author

exony

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/straylightsghost%40gmail.com

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human
soul in this world--and never will."

Mark Twain