RE: Letter of Recommendation

Subject: RE: Letter of Recommendation
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:27:29 -0500

---- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> > I never ask for a formal letter of recommendation from a company,
>
> Why not?
Several reasons. Most importantly, as a hiring manager I place very little stock in letters of recommendation. Usually, if someone asks for a letter of recommendation, they're told to write it themselves and the manager will sign. If I want to know what you think of yourself, I'll ask. <g>

Secondly, when you're looking for a job, nobody asks for letters of recommendation; they ask for references. Being able to actually talk to a reference, ask them questions and hear the way that they answer, tells so much more than a letter ever could. Even the pregnant pauses are significant.

> > manager that I've worked closely with, "Can I use you as a
> > reference?" Either I have their personal contact information
> > already (probably cell number) or I'll follow the question
> > with, "Where can I always reach you?"
> >
> > It's not a recommendation you can use from that job to the next,
>
> Why not?
Because unless you've just been laid off, you're on your way out the door because you're on your way to another position, and presumably your references have already been checked.
-Sue Gallahger