Documenting interactive configuration - HELP!

Subject: Documenting interactive configuration - HELP!
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:06:56 -0500

Peter Neilson reports: <<I'm documenting the configuration of dozens of different kinds of software that are used on the company's computers. Most of the them use some sort of configuration script or XML or whatever. To document the configuration I can include the file or refer to it, or include a portion of it, possibly with explanations. One program, however, is configured interactively. The configuration seems to consist of whatever the tech typed into the config screens as they went past his eyes. I tried writing up a precis of the answers that differed from the default, and it's horribly confusing.>>

Seems to me that there are two overall themes in this particular documentation problem. First, there's the overall sequence of events, which should be consistent for all configurations -- that is, I assume that the sequence of steps (e.g., choose a server) is fixed, even if the options aren't. If it's wholly random, then the developers should be able to explain what randomization technique they used so you can describe that. <g> Second, there's the series of options at each step within the overall sequence.

This suggests that one solution is as follows: First, list the series of steps in the configuration as main headings, and follow each main heading with a short summary of what the user will be trying to accomplish in that step. Second, list the options available at each step and why the user might want to choose one option over another. For bonus points, you could provide an alphabetical listing of all the options as a "look up" table.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_ (http://www.geoff-hart.com/ home/onscreen-book.htm)