RE: Discover Magazine String Theory Video Contest

Subject: RE: Discover Magazine String Theory Video Contest
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Bonnie Granat'" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:12:19 -0500

Bonnie Granat wrote in response to the comment "So it begs the question, if
knowledge is going directly from lay
person to lay person, where does that leave us?"

"There are many people out there who do not earn their living as writers or
editors but who can write circles around those that think they are better
than others. There are brilliant teachers who can explain things simply and
clearly to ten-year-olds. I thinking it's a wonderful thing to tap the
intelligence of everyone, personally.

There are so many examples of so-called technical communicators producing
illiterate slop that I think regarding the profession as something to be
protected against the incursions of the unwashed masses who don't write for
a living is ultimately damaging to everyone, but particularly the
availability of good information."

My wife is an excellent writer and has developed incredible Procedures
Manuals for financial institutions she's worked for, yet her title is
"Branch Operations Manager" not "Technical Writer." A good friend now
working as an Alaska Railroad Engineer can still write circles around me.
Another friend, who's formal title is "Technical Writer," can create
incredible web pages, but can't write a coherent paragraph.

We might earn our living as technical writers, but that doesn't mean we are
the "Technical Writer Police" ready to pounce on anyone layperson who
imagines themselves good enough to enter our secret society. We may be
experienced technical writers, but in other areas we are no better than
those lay people. I don't believe that the flow of knowledge directly from
"lay person to lay person" will have a negative affect on my ability to make
a living as a technical writer; however, if it does, then I guess I use my
talents in a different direction. I've always wanted to own a winery, or be
a celebrity chef.....

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)