Re: Why oh why oh why

Subject: Re: Why oh why oh why
From: "Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "D. Michael McIntyre" <michael -dot- mcintyre -at- rosegardenmusic -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 06:51:19 -0500

On 2/25/07, D. Michael McIntyre <michael -dot- mcintyre -at- rosegardenmusic -dot- com> wrote:

This is why I love the open source world, and why it pains me so greatly I
can't figure out how to make a living in the open source world.

There are people out there doing it, but mostly doing technical
support, systems integration, and so forth.

Firms hiring writers usually are looking for a certain toolset; I
agree with you that it makes no sense, but many of the things one has
to do in order to make a living in the marketplace make no sense.

I guess it's time to go buy some
Microsoft and Adobe stuff and see if I fare better using tools people
recognize.

Let me share with you a perfectly legal way to get Microsoft's entire
small-business product line (from server to desktop operating systems
to the complete Office suite and more) at a substantial discount.

(1) Decide on a name for your small business - it doesn't have to be
incorporated, it can be a sole proprietorship if you like.
Congratulations, you're now a consultant.

(2) Register as a consultant who does tech writing and works with
customers using Microsoft systems at MIcrosoft's Partner Program
website. (https://partner.microsoft.com/US/program/managemembership/40032508).

(3) Once recognized/validated at as a partner (usually immediately!)
sign up for the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription (MAPS) program.
It's $299 a year, but for less than the cost of, say, a single copy of
Windows Vista or a single copy of Office 2007, you get *everything*
Microsoft publishes. more or less, and you get quarterly updates for a
year, too. Want to learn Microsoft tools? This is, by far, the
cheapest way to buy in.

There are some licensing restrictions - you can't resell the software
or "give" copies to friends (most apps come with license keys allowing
them to be installed up to ten times) but the program is designed to
make it affordable for people who need to learn MS tools to acquire
legally licensed copies.

This link (https://partner.microsoft.com/US/program/managemembership/actionpack)
gives you additional information about the program. I've been a
member for two years now, have $600 invested in total (two years of
membership fees) and it is *completely* worth it.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell -- <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com> -- <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
Blog: http://campbell-online.com