RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:03:09 -0500

No, but you'd know that from their resume and writing samples.

> What the certification tells you in this instance is that the
> person has a familiarity with most of the needed requirements
> to which that person will be exposed.

What the certification tells you in this instance is nothing of value.
Someone who's spent 10 years of creating four-page inserts for toasters
-- and yet has certification for a totally different kind of work -- is
a little suspicious, to say the least.

> I'd never claim that you couldn't be a very good technical
> writer and not be certified. A certification would only be of
> use in a narrow range of applications. In fact, you probably
> wouldn't want a staff writer to be certified because you know
> that person doesn't want to crank out documentation day after
> day, just as someone with a CPA designation is not going to be
> happy processing A/P invoices day after day. Certification is
> for the writer who wants to be brought into an environment
> that requires a wide range of skills.

A writer who wants to be brought into an environment that requires a
wide range of skills had better have the resume, the writing samples,
the successful interviews with your SMEs, *and* the references -- or
else expect to get entry-level pay and benefits.

Man, I have *got* to go buy that garlic...

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.