RE: Shift + Enter

Subject: RE: Shift + Enter
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Stuart Burnfield'" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:41:02 -0800

Stuart,

You didn't understand what I was saying. This discussion is for Word only,
FrameMaker has different options. I was discussing styles that do use
hanging indent. In a style with a hanging indent, a hard return will begin
a new, hanging-indented line. In cases where the new line is part of the
previous paragraph, the new line should be indented. If the lines happen to
be numbered, then the new line will create a break in the numbering. I use
line breaks so that the style and numbering (if it used) are retained in the
next line. I only used the example of glossary terms because it is easy
describe why I use line breaks in certain cases, such as a glossary. For
glossary terms, hard returns are an issue when sorting the terms. Word
sorts paragraphs and not broken lines, so the line breaks keep paragraphs
together during a sort.

Word does not keep paragraphs together in columns the way that FrameMaker
does. Tables can produce the example that you provide, but long tables,
like one that I used for a glossary at a previous job, can become too much
of memory hog. I sent a table-ized glossary to the printer and the printer
puked. System administrators were unavailable to configure my system
correctly, so I had to break up terms with paragraphs so that the document
would print. Some terms had bulleted lists or additional paragraphs within
the terms and all lines needed to stay together during the sorting. So I
used line breaks to keep it all together.

I don't know how email will treat my example, but I will illustrate what I
am saying. Line 1 is an example of a numbered line that contains a second
paragraph. Line 2, is the next paragraph with a hard return before it.

1. A paragraph with numbering (numbering uses a hanging indent).
Text within the paragraph gets indented.

A new paragraph that is still a part of item 1 because of a line
break or two. It is indented and line numbering is not interrupted.

2. The next paragraph that is numbered in sequence from the previous line.

Word has numbering options that will continue a list, but Word numbering
gets messed up a lot and will treat all lists in the document as though they
were one list, so I avoid that function. Numbering can also be skipped for
a particular line but the numbering will return when its style is reapplied,
so numbering skipping can become a maintenance issue.

Lauren