single sourcing problem

Subject: single sourcing problem
From: P Dodd <dodd -at- teleport -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:59:33 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi all:

I have what I think is a single-sourcing problem, and I'm wondering if any of you have solved a problem like this.

I have 5 documents, each about 170 pages. What I have for originals are PDFs that were made from (inaccessible to me) Quark files. The docs were originally produced for print only, but now the company wants to use the text for an online product.

Some of the text will need to be edited (as well as a bit added and deleted) to make it suitable for online viewing. For example, text that refers to writing in the book will need to be changed, sub-heads need to be added to chunk up the text, and HTML tags added, etc.

I have been able to extract the text from the PDFs and create and edit text documents with the appropriate HTML. However, in the future, both the print and online docs will need to be updated, and the outputs will still most likely be print PDFs from Quark and text files for uploading into the online application. In addition, the people responsible for the print docs are in another department and in another city from where I am (I'm responsible for the online docs). The only common applications between us are Word and Sharepoint.

I've considered importing text into Framemaker, using conditional text, and then using Mif2Go to export to two docs: perhaps one in Word for the print people to access for their text, and one as HTML docs for use in the online docs, posting both to Sharepoint.

Can anyone suggest a better workflow? (It's unlikely that an XML solution would be acceptable at this point, but if anyone has an inexpensive and easy-to-learn XML solution, I'd love to hear it.)

thanks