RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:32:59 -0500

John Posada offered:
> --- Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:
>
> > Who was your high school teacher for Usability and Meeting
> > Deadlines? My
> > high school didn't offer those subjects. Even worse, it didn't even
> > offer a "degree" -- only a diploma.

> Correct...the Meeting Deadlines we learned in HS was drink coffee,
> pop NoDoz, and write until your eyeballs fall out.
>
> That's not the skill you want from someone incharge of the
> documentation part of a multi-million dollar effort.

John, you're one of the last people I'd expect to imply
that the only skills you've got (and their level) are what
you got from formal education, even if it was a TW college.

Don't most of us take the basics that we got... wherever...
and develop them according to our interests and abilities
into what we've got/do today?

How many of us sprang fully formed from the brow of
<name of school>??

Now, show of hands please, how many are far more skilled
and capable now, after years of experience, than we were
when we came out of any kind of school?

Kevin <waving his hand>

PS: Your highschool was a different place than mine.
But mine was back in the day when you'd be in class
alonsside older individuals who were not getting
a pass until they - passed; did the work and demonstrated
on exams that they'd finally got it.
Were your post-secondary studies similar to your description
of your highschool experience, but only more intense along the same
lines? :-)