RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: 'Damien Braniff' <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 11:06:38 -0500

Damien Braniff sez:

> My own view on certification is that I'm (generally!) for it but I see
> it working at two levels.
> LEVEL 1
> I see this a indicating 'core competencies' that every TWer
> should have
> and which should be taught in every TW degree... This would include
> Writing skill - English, grammar, rhetoric etc
> Information gathering (task/audience analysis)
> Science and technology - basic programming/physics/electronics
> Graphic design - layout, page design etc.
> Basic business - marketing etc.
> Anything else you think we should all know!
>
> I see this level as sort of benchmark. Anyone employing a
> Level 1 writer
> should feel reasonably confident that the writer will meet a minimum
> standard. How would this be done? Here in the UK there's no
> certification as such but members of the ISTC must meet minimum
> requirements before they can join - assessed by the Council based on
> experience, education etc. On the job front I've noticed jobs
> advertised that now say ISTC member preferred so, while not
> certification, employers are noticing.
>
> LEVEL 2
> I'd assume that most if not all writers on the list would already have
> level 1 either through education or experience. Level 2 is
> probably what
> I'd be more interested in and would be 'pick 'n' mix' from a set of
> options. They'd be specialities where having certification might/would
> set you out from the crowd. Some possible things covered might be...
> Documenting APIs
> Proposals
> Networking
> QA
> Etc.
>
> These are options I'd go for to perhaps increase my employability,
> broaden my options etc.

It all sounds reasonable until you encounter the practicalities.

The people giving the Level 2 stuff would also be giving the
Level 1 stuff and would require you to take their version
of all/most of their Level 1 - even if you'd had it many
times over, in other ways (notably life experience and OJT),
as a pre-requisite to their second-level courses.

If it's well done, I think it's a reasonable path for somebody
pre-just-starting. Level 1, followed by Level 2, perhaps with
a work-stage in between to beat some reality into 'em and see if
they still want to go on with Level 2. :-)

Proponents of certification this time around have still not
suggested the usual method of molifying reluctant old farts
like me - grandfathering. (Sometimes transparently disguised
as "equivalency" and "life-experience" credits.)

This suggests that those who wish to push the certification
agenda should hone their political skills a bit more.

Kevin (I'm not a cynic, I just play one....)