RE: Old PC Technology (too long, sorry)

Subject: RE: Old PC Technology (too long, sorry)
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Simon North" <Simon -dot- North -at- quintiq -dot- com>, <sintac -at- home -dot- nl>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <michael -dot- mcintyre -at- rosegardenmusic -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:55:42 -0500

Geez-wow!!

I can only admire your considerably more experience than what I had.

Regarding your PC-XT clone, you mentioned pushing RAM up to 1 mb. For
those who don't remember or didn't know to begin with, PC's were shipped
with only 64 kilobytes of RAM for quite awhile. This is anecdotal, but
I've heard it so many times . . .

My first employer here in Atlanta (spring of '84) was Quadram Corp,
which , along with AST Computers out in California, were the two big
names I recall that offered PC peripherals, including memory expansion
boards.

Quadram's product was the "Quadboard" and it provided 4 functions:
* A battery powered clock-calendar
* A serial port
* A parallel port
* Enough RAM to bring your PC up to 640 kilobytes, which was the ceiling
at the time. (It could be configured with varying amounts of RAM to
accommodate various PC's.)

But in 1985, Quadram was one of the first companies that used the
then-new LIM Spec (Lotus-Intel-Microsoft) to release a plug-in board
that allowed you to surpass the 640K limit. The Quadram product was
called the "Liberty-PC" board (since it freed your pc from the bounds of
640 K). It used paged memory (in 64K "pages" of data that were assembled
"on the fly" to provide this unheard of amount of RAM in a lowly PC).
The Liberty-PC card could be populated with enough DRAM chips to take
your PC up to 8 megabytes - previously unheard of back in those days.

But alas, after a number of other really innovative products, market
conditions and some internal goof-ups resulted in the eventual demise of
what was a really great place to work.

-- Ken in Atlanta