Re: e-publishing a catalogue

Subject: Re: e-publishing a catalogue
From: "Ricardo Rodríguez - Your XEN ICT Team" <webmaster -at- xen -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: 11 Mar 2007 10:09:57 +0100

I would like to! I've registered xen.net years ago before knowing anything about XEN. Now, I am proud of dressing this domain! :-)

Thanks for your answer, Ned. Yeap, a number of databases and programming languages at different levels do work on all three platforms. I am running MySQL and PHP on these three plus Novell Netware 6.5. But as far as I know, it is not possible to create an script and run it from a CD without having MySQL and PHP installed in a box. is it? I am far from being a programmer stricto sensu, so I am afraid I am entering troubled waters without the best boat! But I do need to answer this requirement!

Some releases ago, Oracle ships with a documentation set bundled with a Javascript "search engine". It works with some problems depending on what browser and operating system are you using, but I am guessing after some years there must be possible to do the required improvements. But I have not a clear idea about what the entry point to this environment could be.

Of course with this solution some software is required running in the client box, but it is also required for a lot of websites and people probably have it already installed.

Please, Ned, do you know any title could help me to enter this kind of solution? Thanks!!!

I will try to have a huge virtual fun!!!

Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team

>>> Ned Bedinger<doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com> 11/3/2007 07:48 >>>

Ricardo--

At first I assumed that your domain xen.org had something to do with
Xen the virtual machine technology. Haha, I was surprised that MySql
and PHP didn't occur to you immediately. :-) Anyway, I am not a web
programmer, but I've read some books about it so I'm going to suggest
the following:

Try and find out what databases and query languages are available on all
three platforms, and then browse some books looking for code examples
that handles the tasks you're talking about. I'm pretty sure that the
free MySQL database software is available on all three platforms, and I
imagine that the PHP high-level scripting language is too. When you
find a book that shows you how to import the snapshot into MySQL, and
query it with PHP, and return the results to a web page, you'll be well
on the way to getting it done.

Good luck and have virtual fun.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com