Re: e-publishing a catalogue

Subject: Re: e-publishing a catalogue
From: "Ricardo Rodríguez" <webmaster -at- xen -dot- net>
To: <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:14:49 +0100

Thanks for your analysis, Ned!

---
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team
Ricardo Rodríguez - Your XEN ICT Team wrote:

> But as far as I know, it is not possible to create an script and run it from a CD without having MySQL and PHP installed in a box. is it?

>>I think you're right, which leaves me with two rather unhelpful thoughts:

>> 1. Provide PHP and MySQL for 3 platforms
>> along with the database snapshot on CD.
>> Or on DVD :-(

No way! They will kill me!!!!

>> 2. Cross your fingers and ask the catalog owner
>> to put the backend stuff on an internet web server.
>> Then put the web page on the CD and let it send
>> queries and receive results over the network.

No way. They want a standalone solution. Internet connection won't be available when using the database snapshot.

>>I wouldn't be surprised if major RDBS packages like Oracle have a
>>current distributable run-time (for three platforms?!), browser, and a
>>wizard for generating the browser files with pre-configured
>>static/dynamic queries. But if you don't have a package that can give
>>you an integrated, self-contained environment for the catalog on the
>>CD, I wouldn't count on the customer having the necesasary data tools
>>installed.

I think I have used some Oracle run-time stuff time ago... but I have no longer an updated Oracle licences, so I am afraid that I must forget this path at the moment.

> Please, Ned, do you know any title could help me to enter this kind of solution? Thanks!!!

>>Another search on Publish CD Catalog turned up software that sounds, at
>>a glance, like it could meet the requirements of your project. I've
>>never published an e-catalog, but I suspect that you'd have to dump the
>>snapshot data into another format to create the CD catalog, but what the
>>heck, right? Either you spend an unpredictable amount of time on a
>>custom solution, or you spend money to buy software that does what you
>>need. That might be the real right question for you to ask. Putting
>>myself in your customer's shoes, I would prefer using a cohesive,
>>attractive, easy-to-use CD Catalog product rather than a CD full of
>>fiddly bits that I need to make work before I can browse the catalog.
>>On the other hand, maybe your customer is technical and would enjoy the
>>Fiddly Edition. If it needs to be said, the decision could depend on
>>your customer and end users.

I am afraid a fiddly edition won't be an option with this customer. They want to be one click away from their data just by punting a removable drive in their computers. Following a previous answe to this thread I've tried this stuff..

http://www.server2go-web.de

It works great, but it only available at the present for the Windows platform. Its author is considering the option of a Linux and Mac OS X ports, so it could be possible to use it in all three platforms. The point here is when. In any case, it is worth a trial taking into account that all the required software but a PHP search engine for documents is already bundled with the Server2Go package.

By using this tool, I must only make a simple guess: the user must have a more or less updated Internet browser installed in his/her computer. I think it is an aceptable supposition! With this environment, your propossed documentation will be of great help.

By using the same assumption, a Internet browser installed in the client's box, I keep an eye two other alternatives:

1. Javascript search engines
2. Search engine Java applets

Any new input will be welcome! I'll post here the agreed solution, if any, with the customer.

Enjoying the ciber world,

Ricardo