Tech writer title

Subject: Tech writer title
From: Joanne Wittenbrook <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:20:14 -0700 (PDT)

>I've written a lot of resumes for myself and others. The job title
>that you put on your resume is not necessarily the job title that you were given
>at the job, it is more of an umbrella for the disciplines of the job that
>you want to highlight. You can also call yourself a Technical
>Writer/Business Analyst If you complete an application for a full-time job, then you
>need to put the actual job title on the application.

Business has come up with a lot of vague titles to cover various duties. Analyst is one of them. When I received a promotion a few years ago to Project Manager, the HR folks insisted that the Project Manager position did not apply to my department. I was given the title Project Leader. Made no sense, except I suspect it somehow ties into their salary range, bonus ratings and who knows what else. My job description was that I managed projects.

When I had the title Business Analyst, I was answering calls on the help desk. When I became Senior Business Analyst, I was doing the same thing, just making a little more.

It makes it tough in the world of key word hiring. It is common practice to change the job title on your resume. When they get down to checking references, or during the interview you can fill them in on the actual title was.

And the bottom line is that a lot of human resources departments play with job titles to fit their needs. There is not necessarily a one-size-fits-all definition of a technical writer. Just as the term Business Analyst can mean just about anything.
Joanne