Re: Rant: Giving up on XML

Subject: Re: Rant: Giving up on XML
From: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net" <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:50:09 -0400

On 3/12/07, siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:
> If any of you fellow tech writers who actually UNDERSTANDS XML ever gets around to
> documenting it so that technically savvy but non-programmer audiences can understand
> and/or use it, I will be very grateful.

It was interesting to read this after I read the following article a
couple of days ago:
http://www.digg.com/programming/Open_Source_Programmer_Rants_Against_Leeches

I'm the first to admit to being an Open Source leech, using a bunch of
Apache Jakarta products, MySQL, and other FOSS without contributing
back to any of the products that I use, so don't think I'm waggling a
finger, because I'd have to point it at myself, first.

I've considered getting involved in helping to document an open source
product, but I'm always daunted by the idea of crawling code to try to
figure out what a software product does. Maybe I should be less
fearful, and just give it a try, so I can remove this leech label from
my forehead.

Anyone out there who contributes to one or more FOSS projects want to
give any tips on getting started in FOSS documentation?

--
-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com