Re: Pet Peeves

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:26:49 -0700

If I held off writing just because I thought "anybody" might be
offended I might as well unsub from the list and retire right now.
I'm sure that over the years any number of people have been
offended by something I've said, whether it involved any phrases
whose real meanings had been co-opted by someone with an
agenda or not. If we all follow the guidance to avoid something
because someone, somewhere might take offense, we reduce
language to its lowest common denominator in the same way
that certain groups want to reduce everything else in the world.
No thanks. If someone is offended by something I say or write
that is not offensive except to someone who doesn't know what
they're hearing or reading, I'll just have to live with the knowledge
that someone ignorant doesn't like what I have to say.

Gene Kim-Eng