Re: Pet Peeves

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves
From: "Avram Baskin" <avrambaskin -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:27:26 -0400

Sorry to jump in so late to this discussion, especially since the original
topic (pet peeves) has morphed into other threads.

I agree with Dori. I recently posted a questionnaire on TECHWR-L. One of
the questions asked if the respondent had a "rule of thumb" they followed to
determine the optimal number of items for procedure steps or lists. An
early respondent replied with an explanation of the sexist connotation of
"rule of thumb". I did a little research and found some of the same
"debunking" web sites that have been referenced in this discussion.
However, I opted to change the question (I changed "rule of thumb"
to"guideline") because right or wrong, it was clear that some people believe
the term has a sexist connotation.