Re: Pet Peeves

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves
From: Amy Gale <amyg -at- grammatech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:34:38 -0400

Chris Borokowski wrote:

>And so many people have "subordinate" in their job
>description or title. We should probably call them
>"boss" and "peon" flash units, and it will offend no
>one... for now.

"Boss" and "peon" were exactly what I came up with last night while idly
pondering this question in the car :)

A more basic (and TR'ish) question is, what ability to affect
terminology does anyone actually have? As far as I can tell:

* for an artifact you invented/made/whatever: plenty of power to pick
terminology, although no power to influence what users actually call things

* for someone else's artifact or something that has existed a long time:
can call whatever you want in your own writing, although if you don't
use the standard terminology people may not understand. Probably no
power to influence the terminology of the wider base.

Amy