ADMIN: TECHWR-L Chat Mailing List

From: TECHWR-L Administrator <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
To: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:05:41 -0600

Ned Bedinger wrote:
> Eric Ray wrote:
>> Side comment--would there be value in setting up a
>> new parallel list for "off topic" discussions or
>> technical discussions that aren't really tech
>> writing? Now that we're free from Lyris, that
>> would be straightforward to do. Let me (and

> Now that this topic has been in ferment long enough for the topic of
> immoderate postings to come around a few times, it does seem like it
> might be a good idea to have a parallel list for chat topics, a sandbox
> if you will. Not that this would make it any easier to keep up with
> discussions where posters weave between being nominally on or off topic,
> but it would provide some structure in support of the obvious social
> functions the list provides. I think the rules would sort themselves
> out, the social users would thrive, and the professionals on the list
> who want stricter moderation standards would feel freer to invest their
> limited time in techwr-l.

Ned (and the others who have responded to this one),

Done. We think it's a good idea--there's clearly an unmet need for
casual hallway chatter, but TECHWR-L proper really isn't the right
place for it.

Therefore, we set up
for unmoderated casual chats. We're keeping the archives, but don't
currently plan to make them available for retrieval or search--it
seems that this TECHWR-L-Chat mailing list wouldn't be the kind of
medium that would have lasting value beyond the immediate chat forum.

You can join the list by going to the TECHWR-L site at
http://www.techwr-l.com/ and logging in if necessary. Next,
choose My TECHWR-L -> Profile at the top of the page, then
Edit->Mailing lists to configure your list subscriptions.
Add a subscription to TECHWR-L-Chat, and you'll be all set.

Alternatively, subscribe by sending an email to
with subscribe in the subject line.

Enjoy!