RE: Actual Site Stats - Firefox 2 versus IE 7

Subject: RE: Actual Site Stats - Firefox 2 versus IE 7
From: "Sam Beard" <sbeard -at- oico -dot- com>
To: "Kevin McLauchlan" <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:28:02 -0500

Kevin,

IIRC, Firefox has this same option (or at least used to with earlier
versions). I haven't tried to use it, as most sites I visit work well
(or well enough) with FF as is that it wasn't necessary.
And I agree that it was a double-edged sword. Similarly, my first Mac
lasted well over 6 years, so I wasn't buying a new one (since I couldn't
afford to do so), so stats about the number of Macs out there don't
really take into account the older ones still used: they only consider
the ones sold. Since Macs seem to last much longer than PCs, this is
also rather misleading. But, that's another story, isn't it just? ;-P

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.
Technical Writer
OI Analytical
979 690-1711 Ext. 222
sbeard -at- oico -dot- com

> Just stating the facts for those who may not run stats on
> their sites - or for those who wonder what years of stats show.
If I had visited your site any time up to two years ago, I would have
been
using Opera or another browser, but it would have presented as IE. So
your
stats would have said I was yet another IE user.

This was a (selectable) band-aid solution provided by the browser
makers, so
that their users could get into sites run by conformadroids that
actually
put up "This site REQUIRES Internet Explorer" and bounced you out if you
didn't arrive displaying a good little conformist IE nametag.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList