RE: Tech Writing a Growing Field?

Subject: RE: Tech Writing a Growing Field?
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:43:50 -0400

We were _never_ "just those who write manuals." Nobody's "hiding in that
role," nobody's "defending it as their territory," and nobody uses the
Microsoft Manual of Style to define tech writing. Well, maybe Bill Gates
does.

My point was, you shouldn't be a technical writer unless you're a damn
good writer to start with. A "user advocate," on the other hand, could
just be a really, really nice person.

Of course, a tech writer who advocates for the user brings a lot more
value to the company than one who doesn't. The same goes for a tech
writer who presents ideas graphically and not just textually, a tech
writer who works effectively with SMEs, a tech writer who prepares
regulatory submissions... you get the idea.

But none of 'em are tech writers if they can't write.

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList