Re: "Design" was Re: Tech Writing a Growing Field?

Subject: Re: "Design" was Re: Tech Writing a Growing Field?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 00:30:31 -0700

I think the idea that tech writers are somehow better able
to understand and map design processes that those who
actually do the design is a reach, or possibly something
that just works in the software industry. Having been on
both sides of the design/documenting process at various
times in my working life, there is no way that a writer
was ever going to understand my process for designing
a planetary gear train, and a tech writer would most
certainly *not* have been the "test case" for my design
for a rocket igniter safe/arm device. Tech writers can
certainly have a part to play in helping people who know
something impart what they know to others, but being
able to organize and transfer knowledge about a
product is not the same as being able to develop the
product itself.

Gene Kim-Eng