RE: cost of translation

Subject: RE: cost of translation
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <rwas44 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:49:41 -0500

Robert -

I suggest you contact a independent translator or translation company
directly and ask them to give you a rough quote on your document/s.
Quotes are usually free.

As Marc stated, costs vary as to whether you use an independent
translator or an agency.

But there are several other issues which can add to the final cost:
- Who will review the translation?
- Who will DTP the final product?
- Does the translator use some sort of translation memory, which will
ensure
that identical statements are translated the same way every time, and
which
will also reduce costs?
- How many graphics are in the doc? Is there text within the graphics
which
will require translation?

I can provide you with contacts directly at a couple of translation
agencies that I work with if you'd like. Marc may be able to help you
with contacts for independents if your language need is something other
than German.

Now, all of that said, I can tell you that the final cost per page for
my technical documents has ranged from $26/page to $90/page over the
course of the last four years (and I translate content into as many as
30 languages). The lowest cost was for a set of documents that had a
high percentage of reuse between them.

Carla Martinek, Senior Translation Coordinator/Editor
Zebra Technologies Corporation
cmartinek|zebra|com