RE: Table punctuation

Subject: RE: Table punctuation
From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:06:28 -0700

Nancy Allison wrote:

> The table has two columns, labeled:
>
> This field . . . Allows you to . . . .

> One of the rows is like this:
>
> Clown name - Enter a name for your personal clown, or
> - Leave blank for us to choose one for you.
>
> Only after pain and struggle did I unpick the original run-on sentence
> into two clearly stated alternatives. I'm proud of my clearly stated
> definition of the Clown name field! But . . . its formatting is a tad
> tricky.

Nancy:

You're worried that one bulleted line ends with ", or" while all the
others end with a period? Why not recombine the two alternatives, like
this:

Clown Name - Enter a name for your personal clown (leave
blank for us to choose one for you).

Not only does that satisfy your need for terminal-period consistency, it
also integrates more smoothly with the column headings. The old way,
with a bullet for "Leave blank....", reads as: "This field -- Clown Name
-- allows you to leave blank for us to choose one for you", which sounds
a little awkward to me.

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList