Acrobat plug-in for building TOCs?

Subject: Acrobat plug-in for building TOCs?
From: "DonaLuisa" <donaluisa_nwr -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:56:00 -0700

I'm looking for a plug-in I can install for Adobe Acrobat 7.0 (we're
probably heading towards 8.0 soon), that can build a table of contents.
I would welcome your recommendation! Where I work, we use UNIX/Metaframe
and PC Windows XP.

Periodically, we generate reports with front matter (title page, TOC)
and narrative created using MS Word 2003. The remainder of the document
is PDF file (aka the "Back" PDF file) containing graphic images of data
tables generated from an analytical database. Each table has a title.
Sometimes two tables display on one page, or a long table displays
across multiple pages.

I convert the Word document to a PDF file (aka the "Front" PDF file),
then combine the Front PDF file with the tables' Back PDF file to create
just one report PDF file.

Here's why I think I may need the plug-in, in case anyone has a better
idea:

We send some report readers a printed copy, while the local readers
usually view the report onscreen. So the online readers can navigate via
bookmarks, in the Back PDF file I use the mouse to capture the table
titles and set bookmarks manually. Yah, a little time consuming when I
have 200+ tables.

Lately the analysts have sent me the table tiles in a separate text
file, and I've pasted them at the end of the Word file, applied a style
that the Word TOC can capture. I have to manually compare page breaks to
ensure the dummy titles in the Word file match the layout of the tables
in the Back PDF file. After creating the Front PDF file from Word, I
delete the dummy table title pages.

I would love to skip the manual step of comparing the tables' page
breaks with the Word-generated TOC. I would rather have the Word TOC
point to an internal TOC listing the tables.

I was sure I'd seen a related Acrobat TOC topic recently, and I've
searched the archives to no avail.
-Donna

8:18 PM

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList