Re: Anybody using Web 2.0 sites/services for doc projects?

Subject: Re: Anybody using Web 2.0 sites/services for doc projects?
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 06:22:36 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

>I'm working on an article about Web 2.0 services and what their
>potential is for us pixel- or ink-stained wretches--writers, editors,
>publications managers, and so forth.

I have been puzzled by this term for a while now, because as far as I can tell, it doesn't technically mean anything. It's not a thing, it's a "sense," it's an "approach." There is no way to look at a site and say "Aha! Web 2.0!"

When even O'Reilly, who apparently coined it, can't usefully define a term without writing a five-page article about it (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html) I have to question whether it is not in fact, as they so strenuously deny, just a meaningless marketing buzzword. And those make this pixel-stained techno-peasant cranky. :) If your article is going to contain a definition of the term, I look forward to reading it.

That said, we're using Dojo widgets for embedding Help text. I believe Dojo is, for some reason, considered Web 2.0.

Our company has actually abandoned its wiki, as apparently it was too hard for people to find things, and switched to eRoom (???? I probably shouldn't vent my opinion of eRoom on a public list).

Should probably have some caffeine before list posting, too....

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
508-725-0937
AIM: RJSWriter