Re: Forbes: 10 surprising 6-figure jobs

Subject: Re: Forbes: 10 surprising 6-figure jobs
From: Karen <ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "V. Camgros" <camgros -at- mindspring -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 11:38:16 -0700 (PDT)

I guess my post was intended more as sarcasm on a Monday morning. Plus, I feel like it put a lot of unrealistic expectations in people's mind about Technical Writing.

I'm in Denver and am making 60% less than that with a Master's degree and over 10 years experience. (I was making more previously; however, I was also a business analyst/SME.) I know I could make a lot more contracting; however, I feel I need the consistency of employment and medical benefits due to health issues.

"V. Camgros" <camgros -at- mindspring -dot- com> wrote:
I take it you mean that you are currently earning somewhat less?

Where are you located? Location has a lot to do with the $$ you can pull down. Employers in high cost-of-living areas are accustomed to paying more for salaries. Of course, most of that "more" gets eaten up by paying for housing and food in those areas.

What industry are you writing for? In my experience, the more highly technical, cutting edge, and new the technology the higher the salary. If I were getting into the business right now, I'd study biotechnology. They are paying big bucks for writers, but I don't have the background.

All that said, you *can* make $100k or more, but probably not a lot more and I doubt that there are very many such positions relative to the writers in the market. I *do* make that amount right now, but it's a personal best for me and I'm the entire writing department for a very technical startup, writing for developers (another high-end audience).

I hope this helps explain the article?
Vickie