Writing procedures that aren't so straightforward

Subject: Writing procedures that aren't so straightforward
From: Julia Norquist <julia_norquist -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 10:36:33 -0700 (PDT)

I am a technical writer, but I have not learned the
"right" way to do things. I have written user guides
in the past and am working on one now, but I need help
to write this guide in the clearest, most
straightforward way possible.

I've read the MSTP and Hargis's _Developing Quality
Technical Information_. The problem is that no matter
where I turn for help, I can't find the solution to my
problem. I know how to organize procedures according
to real tasks, and to keep them short and precise, but
some of my procedures have a lot of variables.

I am writing a guide for people who will use our
software on handheld computers, such as Pocket PCs. An
administrator will set up the software according to
how their company operates, and these settings will
affect what the end user sees on his screen. After
logging in, he may see a screen that will ask for an
additional password. He will proceed through a series
of screens, but the path is not linear. He might do A,
B, C, D, then E. He might do A, skip B, do C and D,
and skip E. He might skip A, do B and C, do B again,
and so on.

I can't split the tasks into a dozen or so
permutations, as in, "If your company does A and B,
and you have permission to do X but not Y, then do
this. If your company only does A, but you have
permission to do X, Y, and Z, then do that." The guide
would be huge.

The tasks themselves are not difficult. I just need a
good way to introduce a bunch of potential steps the
user will have to take, without turning the guide into
a Choose Your Own Adventure novel ("If you see the ABC
screen, turn to page 8. Otherwise, turn to page 10."
No way.)

Thanks for your help!

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList