RE: Most embarasssing error (was Finding errors in manuals)

Subject: RE: Most embarasssing error (was Finding errors in manuals)
From: "Kevin McGowan" <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:29:57 -0400

Here's mine...it's a classic that I still bring up whenever I see my old
co-workers.

We worked on a network management product, and throughout the guides were
discussions of different "community strings" that allow access to computer
MIBs yadda yadda yadda.

A generic community string is "public." however, upon the accidental removal
of the "l"...we had many questions about what these community strings could
do.

The best part was that when we fixed it, we alerted the company who was
reselling our product (and rebranding our docs) so they wouldn't suffer the
embarrassment. Sadly, they never fixed it, and subsequent versions of their
manuals had the error. :)

Fight Allergies With Live Search
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=Remedies+For+Spring+Allergies&mkt=en-ca&FORM=SERNEP

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList