RE: Copyright notices

Subject: RE: Copyright notices
From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "Prashanth Menon" <prashanthv -dot- menon -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 14:45:03 -0700

Prashanth Menon wrote:

> 1. What is the common practice while writing copyright notices?
> I have seen most notices use a standard syntax such as this:
> (c) 2007 <company name> All rights reserved.

I assume you're asking about United States law.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.html

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#cr

> Is this applicable to "work for hire" as well?

Yes, but "work for hire" means that the writer's employer is
considered to be the author:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

> 3. What are the implications of warranting the documentation?

Implications for copyright? I don't understand; to me, the
two seem unrelated, unless you're warranting to a buyer that
you own the copyright to documentation that you're selling...
In which case I guess the implication is obvious: You should
actually own the copyright.

> 4. Is it necessary to include the trademarks of ALL other companies
> whose products are used in the current document? Which means this
> list changes with the product and its document?

Your IP lawyer is the only reliable source for advice on this
subject, but there are a lot of documents that simply say
something like "X, Y, and Z are our trademarks. Other trademarks
and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners."

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList