Part Time QA

Subject: Part Time QA
From: "Jonny Benjamin" <jonnyben -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:23:55 +0300

Fellow TW's,

I wanted to get some insight from other writers. One of the tech writing
positions that I am currently looking into includes being part of a QA team
in the job description. In an initial interview, the HR person pointed out
that 50% of the position will involve running tests just like a regular QA
member. In my many years as a TW I have contributed unofficially to "QA'ing"
while documenting UI and manipulating a system in order to write about it
but have never had to do official QA testing. My feeling is that there is
not enough regular documenting to do so the company wants to take advantage
of the TW for other duties. My fear is that they will have unrealistic
expectations from this position. They also told me the current writer who
has been there 6 years is leaving and (of course they didn't say because)
he/she was not prepared to function as a QA member.

Does anyone have experience with such a job description. Is this a no go
professionally for an experienced TW or alternatively could it be
challenging and add to my skill sets.

Thanks,

Jonny Benjamin

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList