Getting more than nits from reviews

Subject: Getting more than nits from reviews
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:07:58 +0800

On the cover page or e-mail, state your expectations in clear language
and big letters:

"Thanks for taking part in this technical review. It is intended to
catch any technical problems in <name of pub>. I would like you, as a
technical expert, to highlight any technical material that appears
wrong, incomplete, misleading or confusing. You can either add your
detailed comments to the draft, or simply flag the problem and I'll
follow up with you in person.

As this is an early draft you may find problems such as typos and
punctuation errors. Don't worry about looking for these now. There will
be a separate round of copyediting reviews later. (Let me know if you'd
like to be included in that group of reviewers also)."

For the real recalcitrants, reinforce the message in person (if you hand
over a paper copy) or by phone (if you e-mailed the draft). "Thanks for
doing this... Don't worry about typos... I have other reviewers who can
concentrate on those later... You're the only person who can review the
technical content so I need you to focus on that..."

Good luck

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList