RE: Professionalism and pay

Subject: RE: Professionalism and pay
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:28:32 -0700 (PDT)

While I agree doctors are under higher stress, I beg
to differ. Our work is on the line as far as legal
tests of negligence goes, when something goes wrong
and the manual is incorrect.

This perspective may be related to the fact that I'm
in an energy-centric town, but if we get something
wrong, we could be costing a company money, or in a
worst case scenario, if we incorrectly document an
emergency procedure, we could be responsible for a
refinery fire and the grieving faces of worker's
families.

Even more, supposing we are documenting something
small like a text editor, if we get it wrong, we cost
the users time -- if they're paid, that's money.

I have no problem with doctors getting paid more than
technical writers, but I want this recognized as a
profession. I'm in this because it's where I can serve
the world best with my abilities, and I see no reason
to belittle myself.

If "professional" means "went to grad school," then I
guess I'll have to do that :)

--- "Stansbury, Stan" <SBS -at- dolby -dot- com> wrote:

> The consequences of having it done badly are simply
> much, much lower
> than other professions.

User Interface design blog
http://user-advocacy.blogspot.com/