Framemaker to Word and back to Framemaker?

Subject: Framemaker to Word and back to Framemaker?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:09:31 -0400

Pro TechWriter wondered: <<I have just heard about a contract
position to create Framemaker documents, convert them to Word, and
then convert them back to Framemaker... Does anyone know why anyone
would *want* to do that?>>

Usually for review. Frame is a specialized tool, and I don't know
anyone outside our little community who uses it. Yet everyone uses
Word or has a copy available to them (it's pretty much inevitably
hidden away somewhere on any Windows PC, sometimes as a demo
version). So you can bet that just about anyone can read and revise
Word documents -- and if they don't have Word, they probably have
WordPerfect or OpenOffice and can use that instead.

Word's still a great choice if you need to use revision tracking
(i.e., editing or revising more heavily than is feasible in PDF). I
haven't used Frame, but from what people tell me, it doesn't have any
significant revision tracking tools other than the "compare
documents" feature*, and in my experience, that type of feature is
useless when (as is often the case) you have overlapping and
contradictory reviews by different reviewers in the same document.
Word still beats the competition hands down when it comes to revision
tracking -- though I'm way out of date on WordPerfect, so I may be
misjudging it.

* If I'm wrong about this, please start a separate thread and provide
details. I'd love to learn more about editing in Frame!

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList