RE: Word's "Master Document" feature

Subject: RE: Word's "Master Document" feature
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 10:04:47 -0500

The whole debate on "Word can't handle long documents" seems to be edging towards urban legend status. Plenty of us have been able to do multi-hundred page documents with tons of graphics with relatively few problems. Most of the problelms I encounter have to do with forgetting some minor detail or being on deadline... not with whether Word can do something.

I have two sincere questions though:

1) Doesn't Framemaker require a disciplined approach, strict rules and a healthy set of workarounds to make it work the way people want it to? I have never used it - in fact my current contract is the ONLY gig I've had in 15 years where the tool was even available. And if it does, then in fact it really is no more superior than any other tool in the communicator's arsenal.

2) has anyone worked with Master documetns in Word 2007? I couldn't find any feedback on the Word MVP site, and I'm curious to find out if it works...or maybe it only works if you use the whole collaboration tool set with Infopath and Sharepoint.

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney