Re: This too is technical communication

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:45:17 -0700

I think it is a common misconception that a small company that
does not implement the same solutions as General Motors or
the DoD must be "immature." Not every small company aspires
to grow into a big company or to be bought by one someday.
I have seen more than one small company spend itself into the
ground trying to implement "big company" enterprise solutions
that they would never need. Conversely, I have also seen
small companies outgrow their "small company" processes
and realize too late that they should have implemented ones
that were less dependent upon individuals working one-on-one.
I think that a key part, if not the biggest part, of "maturing" a
company is having a vision of where you want the company to
go and where you do not want it to go, and building infrastructure,
processes and knowledge sets that will get you there without
impeding progress or causing it to be distracted by the lure of
bright, shiny toys that don't do anything to advance your goals.

Gene Kim-Eng