RE: Stupendously learned user

Subject: RE: Stupendously learned user
From: "Van Boening, Tammy" <tammy -dot- vanboening -at- Fiserv -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:21:22 -0600

Nancy,

Thank you from the bottom of my cynical, hardened little heart for this
wonderful, articulate metaphor/explanation. I am currently in the throes
of writing a Developer's Guide for our core Java platform. The guide is
intended for new developers who join the group who have Java programming
experience but who have never programmed for our company's product. I
have the lump the size of Manhattan on my forehead from beating my head
against the proverbial brick wall when I beg, borrow, plead, steal,
threaten, cajole. . . the existing developers to translate their passive
voice developer-ease. Oh my god, the typical reply is indeed along the
lines of "Web services engineers are very knowledgeable, they're not
beginners. The reader of this document won't have any trouble with
this!"

Oh, I have totally resigned myself to never, ever making inroads with
these stubborn folks who consider themselves above the common when it
comes to knowledge - I have worked with developers all of my writing
career and never, ever have I stumbled across a group with their heels
so dug in about making a guide comprehensible to anyone - new or
seasoned - on the team.

I intend to print this email out, laminate it and superglue it to their
monitors and then, only then, will they possibly understand what I have
been futilely trying to argue for the last 9 months.

Thank you again!

TVB

Tammy L. Van Boening
Senior Technical Writer
Fiserv Insurance Solutions
Property and Casualty Division
303-729-7733
tammy -dot- vanboening -at- fiserv -dot- com
Keep smiling, at least until you get your own way.