RE: This too is technical communication

Subject: RE: This too is technical communication
From: "Gordon McLean" <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:50:04 +0100

Gosh this topic has come a long way (I was at a conference so just getting
through the few hundred emails from the list).

It's been interesting skimming through the emails from a 'distance' and two
things shine through (one of which I've been accused of personally and will
learn from!)

1. Know your audience - the skills we need as Technical Writers (or whatever
YOUR job title is) depends on your audience (which in turn depends on the
product/project you are working on, and the company you are currently
working for).
2. Don't limit your thinking to your current knowledge - I'm guilty as sin
of this one. Generalising across our profession is, essentially, impossible.
We are all percentage parts writer/tester/designer/architect/developer...
Etc etc etc. It's a long list. Over my career those percentages have dipped
and changed in accordance to item 1. I'd guess (oops, generalising again!)
that it's the same for all of you.

So maybe that's the job description we need. A visual representation of our
skillset (and naturally you can then tailor it on your CV!), today I'm 84%
writer, 15% developer and 6% architect. I am definitely NOT a mathemetician
(ok ok, arithmetist..) ;-)

Gordon