Re: This too is technical communication

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication
From: "Raj Machhan" <raj -dot- machhan -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Emily Berk" <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:20:32 +0530

At my optimistic best, when I compare it to the other areas technical
writing is no more than an up and coming profession, which is still to find
its exact place in the SDLC. The majority of staff, including the PMs tend
to be condenscending towards tech writers. I guess every tech writer is
familiar with complications due to "attitude issues". The majority
of organizations still involve technical writers at a very late stage in the
SDLC, getting relevant information is a real pain at times, project
managers often raise the need for one or the other technical document at the
releasing stage, SMEs take their own sweet time to review a
document......the problem areas are enough to make life miserable. However,
I think issues like these are a part of every profession that is still
growing. The best way out I guess is to take this instability as a challenge
and arrive at a process that works the best in the given circumstances.
What is more important is to continue adding new skills. Do things like
writing a book, creating ad copy, learning a new language (you could take on
added responsibility as a translator) etc. In the long run its the skill set
that draws the line between the "idiots" and the leaders. So stay positive,
do your stuff to the best of your abilities and just forget the rest.
(I am really inspired. Friday is here).