RE: Work/ed for IBM?

Subject: RE: Work/ed for IBM?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 21:57:22 +0800

Hi Gordon -

> You might also get to work with the DITA stuff (oops, another
> acronym), they created it after all!

You're dead right. That was definitely a factor when I was considering
whether to renew my contract again. I'd been through a few releases of
the product I looked after and was starting to feel a bit stale. They
announced a plan to convert all the 'live' z/OS manuals to DITA over the
next four releases. This would have included my 10 manuals--i.e. 2 or 3
manuals each year. It was tempting, but I just felt I needed a change.

It would have been a great chance to learn DITA in an environment where
all the publishing tools were in place. I would also like to restructure
some of that dense, dusty content (some of it up to 25 years old) into
topics.

As it turned out, they haven't had the budget to find a replacement for
me, so the DITA conversion has been postponed. I suspect that if I
decide to go back to IBM in a few years, that DITA conversion will still
be 'just around the corner' :^)

Regards

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList