RE: Medical Disabilty/Contracting/Jobs

Subject: RE: Medical Disabilty/Contracting/Jobs
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'John Posada'" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 13:36:54 -0700

I think that California is working on ways to get employment agencies and
other third-parties out of the bidding process. CMAS contracts are only
given to companies that will do most of the work themselves and not be
"administrators" of the contracts. The large companies around here are also
changing the nature of their approved vendors bases. One active technical
writing staffing firm has changed its status recently from that of an
employment agency to that of a solutions provider so that they can continue
to fulfill contracts for Intel and the State.

State contracts now do not consider the "disadvantaged" statuses of minority
or women, from what the small business office told me. The statuses with
preferences now are California Certified Small Businesses that have a 3%
award quota and DVBE's (that must be wholly-owned by a DV) and have a 5%
award quota. The California Department of Transportation gave a lot of
preference for women-owned businesses and still administers the
certification of women-owned businesses for federal contracts.

The government contractor environment is very competitive and the government
appears to be trying to combat opportunist non-workers, like recruiters.
It's somewhat fascinating, really.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList