Re: QuarkXPress 7 vs Adobe InDesign CS

Subject: Re: QuarkXPress 7 vs Adobe InDesign CS
From: "Peter Gold" <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, "Raj Machhan" <raj -dot- machhan -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:16:53 -0500

If you have the time, download and do some experimenting with the free
trials of both applications. Also, search Google for variations on the query
InDesign vs. QuarkXPress. Finally, search the topic also on the various
forums and listservs for both applications; again, a Google search helps
here. Adobe.com has several InDesign user-to-user forums. Others are
theindesigner.com, and indesignmag.com.

I suggest that you also search for FrameMaker vs. Indesign, and FrameMaker
vs. QuarkXPress, because there are several key technical-document tools that
are FrameMaker's strengths which are missing from one or both of these
page-layout applications. For example, cross-references, multiple indexes,
somewhat limited XML support, and the ability to export content as Help
systems.

The suggestion to see the QXP information at senecadesign.com is great, but
also look for the ID information there, too.

The response postings I've seen in this digest seem to be speculative,
especially regarding InDesign. The current release, IDCS3, now supports
unlimited files in multiple-file books, up from the former 100-file limit.
Pages-per-file remains limited to 999. Numbered and bulleted lists are are
now nestable and interruptible.

Start with the requirements, then measure the abilities of a spectrum of
candidate applications to meet them. Depending on your technical document's
requirements, and what's available in these page-layout document-assembly
applications, you may find the solution is to use a tool like FrameMaker in
combination with graphics created in dedicated graphics applications.

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList