Re: How do you manage your tech com media assets

Subject: Re: How do you manage your tech com media assets
From: "J.A.W.D. Glennie" <jawd_glennie -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Daniel Ng <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 04:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

Daniel,

What you're looking for is a Digital Asset Management (DAM) tool. Try a Google search on that term. You should get plenty of results.

JAWD

Daniel Ng <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com> wrote: These are our assets that any of us will probably generate for any tech
comms project ie. docs, pdf, screencast, (podcast?)

Assets
- Visio diagrams
- JPG, PNGs, BMPs, TIFs
- AVI
- CAMREC
- XPJ (Robohelp project), etc, etc

I have been working on documentation and help projects, which need to be
translated as well for sometime now.
At the moment I am putting the docs, and additional items used like
Visio into separate files (sheets,clearly labeled) and everything I
generate into Visual Source Safe (VSS), since its our only available
code repos which developers also standardize on with versioning built
in. IT backs it up too.

Our team is gradually building up video screencasts of software and
products, and I am beginning to work with more types of media files,
like mp3, wav and avi, even MOV.
With this new media, I haven't put it in VSS. Which can run up to pretty
large sizes and kill the server.
At the moment I am putting some of it on a simple public computer (not
backed up).

What do you suggest when managing assets for all this media? Can VSS
still cut it?

What asset management tips for tech comms exploring new media. File
naming, code naming?

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jawd_glennie -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jawd_glennie%40yahoo.com

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList